środa, 28 kwietnia 2010

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene

Jean Michel Jarre, arguably the most well known electronic music composer and definetely my favourite musician. My experience with Jarre's music has started pretty early since I listened to him for as long as I can remember. For a long time though the only album I cared about was "Oxygene 7-13", that and few tracks from the "Images" compilation, for some unexplainable reasons I ignored the "Oxygene" for years, not mentioning other albums I didn't own. "Oxygene" was the springboard for future career and world fame of the French composer. When I finally listened through the whole album for the first time I realised how much I missed out on.

"Oxygene" heavily contributed to popularisation of electronic music, everybody heard Oxygene 2 or 4, Oxygene 4 as a matter of fact remains to this day as the most recognizable track of Jarre's (though definetely it's not the best one). One of the reasons of "Oxygene" success was that it sounded very modern (it was called "music of the future") and accessible at the same time, despite very few expecting a major success.

It starts with a calm and slightly oniric Oxygene part I , gently itroducing the listener to the world of electronic soundscapes, which fluently advances into Oxygene part II, much more dynamic and melodic with it's instantly recognizable solo. It ends with the sound of rustling wind, and after that begins a short and slightly oriental Oxygene part III. Next is the album's single Oxygene part IV, most rhytmic and catchy track on the entitre album. Afterwards the tempo calms down with the beginning of Oxygene part V, which eventually hots up, presenting another lightly oriental solo. The album ends with calm and nostalgic Oxygene part VI farewelling us with sounds of seagulls and sea waves...

This is a timeless album, it sounds as great and fresh today as it did over 30 years ago. Is it the best of Jarre's works? Many think so, though many critics consider the "Zoolook" album as JMJ's magnus opum. Personally I'd find it hard to pick a definitive "top", but undoubtedly "Oxygene" will always remain for me among the very best albums in Jarre's discography.


=====Track Listing=====

Oxygene part I (7:39)
Oxygene part II (7:54)*
Oxygene part III (3:06)
Oxygene part IV (4:13)*
Oxygene part V (10:11)
Oxygene part VI (7:05)

(6 tracks, total time 40:08)
(Track lenghts according to the remastered version)
 ====================
*The best tracks (IMHO) of the album are marked in red. 



Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz